In the world of skincare and body care items, we usually think the things we put on our skin is safe. But there's one thing we need to talk about: formaldehyde. Its use in cosmetics is primarily as a preservative. Its ability to inhibit the growth of bacteria and fungi makes it an attractive choice for manufacturers. In products like shampoos, lotions, nail polishes, and hair straighteners, formaldehyde helps maintain their integrity and efficacy over time.
What is Formaldehyde and How It's Made?
Formaldehyde is a colourless, strong-smelling gas that is commonly used in various industries, including cosmetics and personal care. Its primary function in these products is as a preservative to prevent bacterial growth and prolong shelf life. It can also be found under its related compounds, such as formalin or methylene glycol.
Formaldehyde is typically made through a chemical process known as the "formox process." Here's a simplified explanation:
- Methanol Production: The primary raw material for formaldehyde production is methanol, which is often derived from natural gas or other hydrocarbon sources.
- Oxidation: Methanol is reacted with air (oxygen) in the presence of a catalyst, which is usually a metal like silver or palladium. This process oxidises methanol, converting it into formaldehyde vapour.
- Condensation: The formaldehyde vapour is then condensed into a liquid form. This liquid formaldehyde can be further diluted with water to create formalin, which is a commonly used solution of formaldehyde.
The Cons of Formaldehyde
While formaldehyde plays a vital role in preserving cosmetic products, its presence in our daily routines raises concerns. Here are some reasons why:
- Skin Irritant: Formaldehyde is known to be a potent skin irritant. When applied topically, it can cause redness and itching. People with sensitive skin may be particularly prone to these reactions.
- Potential Carcinogen: One of the most significant concerns associated with formaldehyde is its classification as a potential human carcinogen by the International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC). Although the risk of cancer from cosmetics is relatively low compared to other sources of exposure, long-term and frequent use of products containing formaldehyde may pose a small risk.
Natural Alternatives To Formaldehyde In Skincare Products
- Vitamin E (Tocopherol): This antioxidant not only helps extend the shelf life of products but also provides benefits to the skin.
Grapefruit Seed Extract: Known for its antimicrobial properties, it can serve as a natural preservative.
Rosemary Extract: Rich in antioxidants, rosemary extract can be used to stabilise oils and prevent them from going rancid.
Honeysuckle Extract: It has natural antimicrobial properties and can be used as a preservative.
Neem Oil: Neem oil has natural antibacterial properties and can extend the shelf life of products.
Essential Oils: Some essential oils, like tea tree oil, lavender oil, and oregano oil, have natural preservative properties.
These natural alternatives can help keep skincare products fresh while avoiding the potential risks associated with formaldehyde.
Caring For Your Skin Without Formaldehyde
When it comes to having healthy and beautiful skin, we all want products that work well, are gentle, and most importantly, safe. That's what we are all about. We're changing skincare to make it better for your skin and your overall health, and we're saying no to formaldehyde.
Our Commitment to Your Skin's Health
At LIZA VETA, we believe that skincare should be a positive and pleasant experience, one that enhances your natural beauty without compromising your health. With this philosophy, we've made a clear choice – we don't use formaldehyde in any of our skincare products. Let's take a closer look at why this decision is so important for your skin and your peace of mind.
- Skin Sensitivity and Irritation: We understand that skincare should provide comfort, not discomfort. By excluding formaldehyde, we've removed a potential source of skin irritation, allowing your skin to flourish naturally.
- Prioritising Your Wellbeing: Your overall health is our priority. While the immediate risks associated with formaldehyde in cosmetics may be relatively low, long-term exposure can pose concerns. By keeping formaldehyde out of our products, we minimise any potential disruption to your hormonal balance, giving you peace of mind with every use.
- Environmental Responsibility: We're not just dedicated to your skin's health; we're also committed to our planet's wellbeing. Formaldehyde, when present in personal care products, can have environmental repercussions. By choosing formaldehyde-free formulations, we reduce their impact on the environment. LIZA VETA is proud to take a step towards a more eco-conscious future.
- Transparency and Trust: We value your trust. That's why we're committed to being transparent about the ingredients in every product we offer. When you choose LIZA VETA, you're choosing skincare that's open and honest, free from formaldehyde and other potentially harmful additives.